a great box for getting media from point A, B and C to your TV





4.0 out of 5 stars a great box for getting media from point A, B and C to your TVOctober 2, 2010
By 
S. Miller (DC) 
(REAL NAME)   
This review is from: Apple TV MC572LL/A (2010) (Electronics)
I was looking forward to this product since it was announced early last month. I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought it when it became available. For $99 it provides most of the functionality I was paying microsoft $50 a year for. I've become less dependent on the XBOX as a game machine, and more as a Netflix/Media Streamer since my family has grown, and not having to pay for XBOX Live was one of the driving reasons behind this purchase. The reason I say "most of the functionality" is due to it not having the codec support that the XBOX360 comes with out of the box. I've had no issues with playback of mp4 or m4v files, and I'm happy with that, but it lacks support for WMV and AVI (as far as I've experienced). This isn't exactly a deal breaker since I can re-encode any content to supported codecs with handbrake and use iTunes to take care of my video library.

The UI is slick, the setup was somewhat easy (but would have been easier with keyboard support) and the ability to control music from my laptop and desktop is fantastic (through iTunes via the currently limited "airplay" functionality).

I'm really happy with the YouTube, Flickr and Netflix support. They are by far the best I've seen from a media center, but I can see certain aspects being a pain if you use the included remote (there is no keyboard to speak of, and scrolling through letter to spell things out is a hassle). The remote app on iOS devices more than makes up for the lack of a keyboard since it provides added functionality (such as alpha numeric input, quick seeking and library browsing). I look forward to video support with airplay and will update this review once I get to play with that (in November?).

One last thing - it's quiet. The thing barely makes a peep.



Apple TV MC572LL/A (2010) Detail Page          Apple TV MC572LL/A (2010) Offer List Page

MC572LL on Twitter MC572LL on Delicious MC572LL on Facebook MC572LL on Digg MC572LL on Stumbleupon MC572LL on Favorites More MC572LL

 
Design by Pure Water Solution | Bloggerized by - Nattamatee Mahapetch |